Sunday, January 16, 2011

Golden Globes 2011

Okay, so I have seen some of the movies that are nominated tonight. I don't really make it a priority to see all of these because the Oscar ceremony is really a bigger deal to me. However, I must point out two of the films nominated tonight because I have recently seen them. These two films, Black Swan and The King's Speech, are what I put in the Inevitables category. That means it is inevitably going to be nominated for Golden Globes AND Oscars so I will not be wasting my precious movie watching time. So, here you go:

Black Swan- Saw this with a friend who is into artsy stuff and we both wanted to see the movie, so off we went. The movie was... emotionally confusing. I liked it, but I didn't. I appreciated it, but I did not appreciate some of the unnecessary content (my friend and I agreed the girly love scene could have not been done at all and eluded to in the movie in a much more tasteful way). I was scared, but I wasn't. So, it was emotionally confusing. So, here is what I did like about it: Natalie Portman did an amazing job creating this character that wanted something so perfect that she drove herself to madness. The artistry of the actual dancing, costuming, camera perception and visual effects were wonderful. But honestly, the likability of the movie ended there for me. The film was directed by Darren Aronofsky who also directed The Wrestler and I had the same reaction to this film as I did with that one: I saw it. I am glad I did. Once. And I need to either go say about 30 Hail Marys or take a shower.

The King's Speech- Okay, I saw this one with five of my friends. We all have very different tastes in movies and we all loved it. Colin Firth is my hero and Geoffrey Rush is amazing. The subtly of the acting, set and script made this movie. They did not have effects to make things exciting, they made the movie exciting by.... ACTING. Soapbox alert! I had a realization after seeing this movie. There are two types of people in this world: those who are entertained by movies with effects and those who are entertained by movies without. NOTHING WRONG WITH EITHER. I just realized that I am a person that prefers movies without it and that rely on the abilities of the actors. Take Avatar for example. Not really known for its acting... which is fine because that whole film rested solely on the effects. And... I am going to say it... I found The King's Speech to be 10 times more entertaining than Avatar (sorry, Jared Viertel). Of course, as mentioned before, neither way is wrong. It is all about YOUR preference. Soapbox over. So, I highly recommend this movie. There are no special effects, but I think you should see it nonetheless!

Watch the Golden Globes tonight. You will be glad you did.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jill--saw on fb you have a blog and I have to say the only non-kid movie seen by me in like a year was today I saw "The King's Speech" and LOVED it!! Only have one movie to root for but I'll still watch to see what else I should see! I thought it was really really really good.

    ReplyDelete