Monday, January 17, 2011

The Social Network and The Fighter

Okay, let's get something out of the way. The obvious title motif is a little overboard this year. Look at some of the Best Picture potential nominees: Black Swan, The Social Network, The Fighter, The King's Speech. All the Yahoo users were up in arms because Inception won nothing last night. Well, the Harper Awards give it Most Creative Title. There you go, Yahooers, happy now?

Anyway, Mason and I went to the movies all day today and saw The Social Network and The Fighter. Both great movies with great acting and great scripts. Here's the thoughts on them:

The Social Network- Okay, Mark Zuckerberg, if you are reading this, just don't cancel my account. I am addicted to this thing you shamelessly created from someone else's idea. Moving on. This was a great movie. The screenplay was fabulously written by the wonderful Aaron Sorkin who also wrote some of my favorite shows, The West Wing and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (NBC please bring it back). It was witty, quick and purposeful. Jesse Eisenberg did a great job at making Mark Zuckerberg seem like a hero and a villain all at the same time. Honestly, I did not like Zuckerberg after leaving the theater. I felt sorry for him. Maybe that was the point. Look, I am not really sure what happened in all the stealing idea situations; we are not Friends (see what I did there?). I do know that if he is half of the dillhole that Jesse Einsenberg portrayed him to be, I would block him from my news feed if we WERE Friends. (enough of that) Seriously, he seemed so very determined to be in that inner circle that it made him emotionless to anything else. It left me feeling sad. And Mason too. No tears, just sadness for poor billionaire Mark Zuckerberg. But all in all, it definitely deserved the accolades it received at the Golden Globes.

The Fighter- Anyone who has known me for over an hour knows that I love Rocky. This movie was like Rocky except you switch Adrian for a girl with a left hook and a bad mouth, you trade Paulie for a crack addict and Mickey is actually a overtanned, overdyed, overbearing mother. Then, you have The Fighter. Oh, and throw a wonderful corps de ballet of seven sisters who would scare a child on Halloween. We'll make them the awesome doo wop group that sang on the street corner. Take it back, doo doo-da-doo... Anyway, The Fighter was an amazing film with a spitfire cast. The story was a story we have heard before, but they did it in a really interesting way. Christian Bale, who most of you know as our current Batman, was Captain Insane-o awesome in the role of Dicky Ecklund. He was delusional, he was insane, he was hilarious. He was Dicky Ecklund. It was phenomenal. He was my favorite part in the whole film. Mark Wahlberg was good too. Fully committed to the movie and he was the steady beat to the up and down craziness of Christian Bale. Melissa Leo and Amy Adams totally embraced the lifestyle and look (eeeek) of the time and the environment of the plot. All of them are shoo-ins for Oscars nominations if I were voting. This film was really worth watching.

So, there you go. Two more Ineviteables down... many more on their way. Nominations are up at the end of the month we will see what happens!

PS. This was originally written for Facebook, which is why I am asking MZ to not cancel my account.

No comments:

Post a Comment